Sunday 12 July 2015

Rest Day 18

12/7/15
In the 1970's I spent a summer week at my Grandma's in Whitstable with my younger sister Kate. We would leave the house in the morning and explore the "secret" alleys that connect the streets and only return for lunch. A boating lake and the shingle beach were also our entertainment. I can't imagine under 11 year olds being able to roam unaccompanied like that now.


Some 40 years later, my mum, Sue and I pottered around town. There was very little that looked familiar, the prominent Neptune pub is no longer the stand-alone building I remember and the boating lake has disappeared under new development.
Whitstable is a trendy shambles with interesting shops and good sea food but the motor car is allowed to rule so parking is hell and is not a place for small people to wander.
We had a good sea food platter in the East Quay Venue and afternoon tea back at Jill's. A great rest day and chance to catch up with mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment